Monday, November 19, 2007

Stretching myself

Ok, so I left my book at home today, which might be a good idea from now on if I want to update this more regularly. School's been great. It's tough to describe it on here, because so much of my life in Korea necessitates body language. Ashley, one of the most unique girls on earth, has begun wearing a winter hat that looks like the head from a stuffed animal. It's her husky hat. She has an odd preoccupation with huskies which I have yet to understand. It's amazing to me how much Kiwi class has progressed since I got here and how little Banana class has. My greatest handicap is my ability to explain things. I always considered it a strength, but when teaching English to people who are too young for a logical system, repitition is far more effective. I'm learning that more and more on a daily basis, but explaining things is one of the toughest habits to break myself of. I see it most in Banana and Cornell classes, and little bit in my fourth grade class. They're all at a level where they can understand a little bit of my explanation. This little bit is all it takes to confuse them to the point of mental meltdown. Again, I'm slowly breaking myself of it.
Outside of school, I'm doing well. I met an awesome girl named Meghan who I've been spending at least a night of every weekend with. We have similar interests and a lot of fun together. It's been nice to have a friend I can just be myself with in Korea. I've also just started doing yoga and I continue to read more than I ever read at home. I've started drinking a lot more milk as I've been exercising more, and the milk here is probably altering my chemical makeup because I really have no clue how many hormones and chemicals are in it. Anyway, I'm still doing well and I'm feeling like a cog that turns rather than a cog that is turned again. I wouldn't say it's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's nice to be more active again.
I love you all and hope all is well back home.
Joe

4 comments:

Gwen said...

what's new??? let me know! :)

Gwen said...

The glass has been falling all the afternoon,
And knowing better than the instrument
What winds are walking overhead, what zone
Of gray unrest is moving across the land,
I leave the book upon a pillowed chair
And walk from window to closed window, watching
Boughs strain against the sky

And think again, as often when the air
Moves inward toward a silent core of waiting,
How with a single purpose time has traveled
By secret currents of the undiscerned
Into this polar realm. Weather abroad
And weather in the heart alike come on
Regardless of prediction.

Between foreseeing and averting change
Lies all the mastery of elements
Which clocks and weatherglasses cannot alter.
Time in the hand is not control of time,
Nor shattered fragments of an instrument
A proof against the wind; the wind will rise,
We can only close the shutters.

I draw the curtains as the sky goes black
And set a match to candles sheathed in glass
Against the keyhole draught, the insistent whine
Of weather through the unsealed aperture.
This is our sole defense against the season;
These are the things we have learned to do
Who live in troubled regions

Gwen said...

ookay now i feel like a stalker. why don't you update anymore??

Mary said...

You haven't updated in so long. What's going on over there????

:o(